|Getting Ready for Dedication|
Which Will Take Place Sunday, January 17.
Sunday, January 17th, will be an auspicious day for the Greek Catholics of Homestead. Their fine new church located on Third avenue between City Farm Lane and Dickson street, is now receiving the interior finishing touches by Contractor Valentine Bost.
The building is a frame structure and measures 32x64 feet. It contains two large rooms, one in the basement which is to be used for school and lecture purposes, and the other for church services. The latter room is finished in oak and grained. About sixty pews have been placed in position and carpet is put down. The altar is a fine [sic] peice of work, and adds much to the general appearance. The windows are of stained figured glass.
The large one was donated by Contractor Valentine Bost which bears his name. The cost of the building is $8,000. Mr. Bost has also completed the parsonage, which is also a frame structure, and contains six rooms, a hall and a finished attic. It is located next to the church. The pastor Rev. John [sic] Matascko came to Homestead about six months ago, during which time he has been able to get four hundred of his countrymen together.
The dedication will take place on Sunday January 17, 1897, when visitors will be present from Braddock, McKeesport and [sic] Pittsburg.
On April 17, 1897, The Homestead News contained another article referring to the “new Greek Catholic church on Third avenue, near Dickson street.” This article also stated that the church would be dedicated on Sunday, May 8, 1897. The brief article continued: “All the Greek Catholic Societies of Western Pennsylvania are expected to be in the parade on that day. The new bell has arrived and will be blest at the Easter service to-morrow (April 18, 1897).”
That the local newspaper would contain conflicting articles about the dedication of the new St. John’s Greek Catholic Church is, in retrospect, not very surprising. Undoubtedly, the traditions and services of the new congregation must have been very confusing to the English-speaking, Protestant natives of the Homestead area who had no familiarity or knowledge of the Byzantine rite. This ignorance is perhaps best illustrated by the following article which appeared in the Homestead News Messenger on Monday, April 23, 1900: