Within almost two years of organizational activities, their efforts to form a Greek Catholic church in Homestead finally were successful. Father Irenaeus Matyaczko celebrated the Divine Liturgy at Homestead's "National Hall" and assumed the pastorate of the fledgling Greek Catholic community. In less than four months, the new church, a modest frame structure measuring thirty-two feet by sixty-four feet, was completed. In January 1897 the new church was officially chartered and dedicated as St. John the Baptist Greek Catholic Church.
Father, later Monsignor, Michaylo’s personal intervention brought many individuals and families back into the parish fold. In addition, Msgr. Michaylo undertook many initiatives to invigorate the parish spiritually, socially and financially, including the opening of a parochial school staffed by the Sisters of St. Basil the Great. After eighteen years, Msgr. Michaylo’s remarkable pastorate ended when he was named the rector of Saints Cyril and Methodius Seminary.
Msgr. Nicholas T. Elko succeeded Msgr. Michaylo as rector of the Cathedral in September 1954. Little less than three months later, Msgr. Elko was named Apostolic Administrator of the Pittsburgh Byzantine Catholic Exarchate and ordained as a bishop. Msgr. Elko’s successor, Father George Bonchonsky, served as rector until 1956 and was succeeded by Father John Pipik.
During Father Pipik’s pastorate, the parish began the immense task of renovating and modernizing the Cathedral. While the lengthy renovation progressed, liturgies were held in the school auditorium. Msgr. John Gernat who served as rector from November 1, 1959 to September 26, 1963 eventually completed the renovation of the Cathedral.
Msgr. John Bilock, the Cathedral’s tenth pastor, succeeded Msgr. Gernat in October 1963. Under Msgr. Bilock’s energetic leadership, St. John’s Cathedral began to host a weekly radio broadcast of the Divine Liturgy, paid off its longstanding mortgage and renovated its many properties and buildings. On March 8, 1973, Pope Paul VI appointed Msgr. Bilock the auxiliary bishop of the Pittsburgh Archeparchy.
Msgr. Judson Procyk be came the rector of the Cathedral parish on July 18, 1973. As rector, Msgr. Procyk had the vision and foresight to plan for and oversee the complete relocation of the parish to newer and better facilities. In 1978, the parish acquired 18 acres of property off Greentree Road in Munhall. On August 3, 1980 Archbishop Stephen Kocisko broke ground for the construction of a large, social and activities center.
In November 1981 St. John’s Cathedral Center was opened. With the hard work and unselfish energies of many volunteers, the Cathedral Center quickly became one of the premiere locations in the Pittsburgh area for wedding receptions, banquets and other social functions.
When the debt on the Cathedral Center was finally retired, the parish set its sights on achieving the ultimate goal of Msgr. Procyk’s grand vision: a new and magnificent Cathedral church. After years of hard work and financial sacrifice, Archbishop Thomas Dolinay broke ground for the new Cathedral and rectory on July 5, 1992.
On December 19, 1993 the parish closed the Dickson Street church with a farewell Liturgy and proceeded to the new Cathedral for a prayer service. On Christmas Eve, Bishop Bilock, with Archbishop Kocisko presiding, celebrated the first Divine Liturgy in the new church. On June 12, 1994 Bishop Michael Dudick, the Acting Metropolitan and Bishop of the Passaic Eparchy, with Bishop Bilock and Archbishop Kocisko formally dedicated the new Cathedral.
On February 7, 1995 Msgr. Procyk was ordained and installed as Metropolitan Archbishop in the Cathedral he was instrumental in building. Father Robert Karl succeeded Archbishop Procyk as rector. During Father Karl’s pastorate, the parish paid off substantial amounts of its construction debt and gloriously commemorated the one-hundredth anniversary of its founding.
In June 1998 Archpriest John Kudrick succeeded Father Karl as Cathedral Rector. As spiritual father of St. John’s Cathedral, Father Kudrick leads an active community of Christians, united in worshiping God in the Byzantine Catholic tradition and forever thankful for the many, many gifts the Lord has bestowed upon His people over the last one hundred and two years!
The present rector of the Cathedral is Archpriest Dennis M. Bogda.